The North Carolina
Cities and Towns in Hoke County
Click on the towns below to visit their websites
Schools Hoke County Schools Ph: 910-875-4106 Fax: 910-875-3362 Don D. Steed Elementary Ph: 910-875-1125 Fax: 910-875-2274 East Hoke Middle School Ph: 910-875-5048 Fax: 910-875-9307 Ph: 910-875-2470 Fax: 910-875-1702 Hoke Ph: 910-875-2156 Fax: 910-904-1644 Ph: 910-875-8721 Fax: 910-904-6868 Rockfish Hoke Elementary School Ph: 910-875-9343 Fax: 910-875-3761 SandHoke Early College Ph: 910-878-5806 Fax: 910-878-5807 Ph: 910-875-6008 Fax: 910-875-8498 Ph: 910-875-4182 Fax: 910-875-0292 116 Ph: 910-875-2583 Fax: 910-875-3012 Ph: 910-875-1574 Fax: 910-904-0624 West Hoke Elementary School Ph: 910-875-2584 Fax: 910-875-7312 West Hoke Middle School 200 NC 211 West Ph: 910-875-3411 Fax: 910-875-0332 Private Schools K-12
Rockfish Christian Academy
3219 Lindsay Rd
Raeford, NC 28376-5912
Hoke County Schools
Don D. Steed Elementary
East Hoke Middle School
Rockfish Hoke Elementary School
SandHoke Early College
West Hoke Elementary School
West Hoke Middle School
200 NC 211 West
Private Schools K-12
Churches Red Springs Raeford Ashley Heights Baptist Church Raeford Raeford Nicholson Creek Hoke Red Springs Johnsons Chapel Red Springs Parkton Raeford Clifdale McCormack Chapel Wakulla McLaughlin Chapel Raeford Raeford Raeford Red Springs Parkton Raeford Piney Raeford Parkton Robbin Raeford Parkton Raeford Raeford Saint Elizabeths Church Raeford Parkton McCain Shady Shady Raeford Raeford Wakulla Parkton
10351 Aberdeen Road
Aberdeen, NC 28315
Ashley Heights Baptist Church
Saint Elizabeths Church
Rairoad Station in Raeford, North Carolina
Hoke was formed in 1911 from Cumberland and Robeson counties. It was named in honor of Robert F. Hoke, a major-general in the Confederate States Army. It is in the southeastern section of the state and is bounded by Cumberland, Robeson, Scotland, Moore, and Harnett counties. The present land area is 391.21 square miles and the 2000 population was 33,646. Raeford is the county seat.
The creation of the county is an interesting lesson in political maneuvering. John W. McLauchlin served Cumberland County in the State Senate. He lived about four miles from where the Hoke Courthouse now stands. He had an understanding of the problems of people living so far from the county seat. He knew that the people of north Robeson County who were his neighbors also lived two days travel from their county seat.
One of the arguments for the formation of a new county was that lawbreakers were not apprehended. The area which is now Hoke was a "wilderness" of "pine barrens." There were no roads; only "tracks" or dirt, two-rut trails connected the houses or farms. "Advocates" of the new county promised to "develop a large section of country largely in the woods."
In 1907, Senator McLauchlin proposed the creation of a new county to be named Glenn County. It would include a part of Cumberland and a section of Robeson County, both tremendous counties. Cumberland people were opposed. A group of Robeson County people thought that North Robeson County would serve them better with a county seat in Red Springs. In the years of debate, there was speculation that personal finances were involved. Some of the strong proponents on the new county were also involved in the formation of a new bank in Raeford. The 1907 legislation failed and in 1909 similar legislation was again introduced. Again, the proposal was the creation of Glenn County from two townships of Cumberland and two from Robeson. It was defeated.
A 1911 newspaper accounty says, "Today between three and four hundred advocates of the county of Hoke went to Raleigh to be present at a joint hearing before the legislative committees on counties, cities, and towns." The years of effort had produced the support. A new county name had been selected; Hoke County would be named for the very popular Robert F. Hoke of Confederate Civil War fame.
"The Cumberland opposition was manifested through Hon. C. G. Rose, Maj. McKeithan, Senator Nimocks, and the Representative Currie. The Robeson protests were entered by Messrs McLean, Stephen McIntrye, E. J. Britt, and ex-Congressman Patterson. The North Robeson rejoinder came through Leon T. Cook Esq. and Col. Hinsdale of Raleigh. The Hoke county rejoinder was made of Capt. J.W. McLauchlin of Raeford and Senator Webb of Asheville, and to say they wiped the earth with the opponents of Hoke County is an inadequate expression." The law passed to go into effect on April 1, 1911, but the date of organization was placed on the fifth of the month.
Hoke County is named for an illustrious general of the Confederacy, Gen. Robert F. Hoke. The man and the county name give insights into the way North Carolinians were thinking in 1911.
John W. McLauchlin, State Senator from Cumberland County, lived four miles from what is now Raeford. In 1907, he introduced legislation which would have created Glenn County (Named for the governor) out of a sparsely settled area of Cumberland and Robeson Counties. There was no interest in passing such a bill in the 1907 Assembly or in the 1909 General Assembly when he presented it again. There were those who thought a new county in the area might be good, but they argued for naming it North Robeson. In the 1911 Genral Assembly, legislation was passed creating Hoke County. The name change was very important in passing the legislation.
Robert F. Hoke served the Confederacy with distinction. He is thought to have been a possible successor to Robert E. Lee should such a position ever exist. He was a classmate of Lee and a good frined. General Hoke was a hero of the Conferderacy. He had captured 3,000 prisoners at a battle in Plymouth. He was a spirited and inspiring commander. North Carolinians had filled his ranks and were proud of the successes they achieved under him. North Carolinians across the state wanted to have General Hoke honored. A new county named for him was a popular concept with people across the state.
A native of Lincolnton, Robert Hoke was living in Raleigh in 1911. He had become a railroad president and was a citizen of statewide prominence. Railroads and their executive officers were very important in the financial and political life of the country at the turn of the century. To have one of their own honored with a county named was a politically popular piece of legislation with some powerful individuals.
Allowing Hoke County to be named Hoke was the only honor accepted by Robert F. Hoke in his lifetime. He was a much respected young Confederate officer and a much respected citizen in his later life. His name and popularity help make the creation of the ninety-ninth county possible in 1911.
- Source: J.D. Lewis - Little River, SC
As of the census of 2000, there were 33,646 people, 11,373 households, and 8,745 families residing in the county. The population density was 86 people per square mile (33/km²). There were 12,518 housing units at an average density of 32 per square mile (12/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 44.53% White, 37.64% Black or African American, 11.45% Native American, 0.83% Asian, 0.15% Pacific Islander, 3.27% from other races, and 2.13% from two or more races. 7.18% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
By 2005 42.1% of the population was non-Hispanic whites. 10.1% of the population was Native American. 36.3% of the population was African-Americans. 9.8% of the population was Latino. 1.8% of the population reported more than one race (but it should be remembered that this category excluded Latinos) and 1.0% of the population was Asian.
In 2000 there were 11,373 households out of which 41.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.70% were married couples living together, 18.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.10% were non-families. 19.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the county the population was spread out with 29.80% under the age of 18, 10.70% from 18 to 24, 34.10% from 25 to 44, 17.60% from 45 to 64, and 7.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 102.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $33,230, and the median income for a family was $36,110. Males had a median income of $27,925 versus $21,184 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,635. About 14.40% of families and 17.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.40% of those under age 18 and 22.00% of those age 65 or over.
- Source: Wikipedia
The Raeford-Hoke Museum, a non-profit organization, began its perservation project in 2002 with the purchase of The McLauchlin-McFadyen House. The mission of the museum is to perserve the history, culture and artifacts of the local area. The Museum houses many historical artificats, photographs and genealogies of Raeford and Hoke County.
The museum is located at 111 South Highland Street, Raeford, NC 28376. The telephone number for more information is (910) 875-8161. The museum is open on Sundays from 2pm - 4pm, Mondays from 10am - 2pm, and Tuesdays from 10am - 2pm. There is no admission fee, but donations are accepted.
History of Mill Prong House
In the last half of the 18th century, more than 20,000 Highland Scots, including John Gilchrist and the father of Col. Archibald McEachern, immigrated to the Cape Fear Region of North Carolina, the largest Highland Scot settlement in America.
Many left Scotland after 1746, the year the Scots rallied under Prince Charles Stuart only to suffer defeat by the British at the Battle of Culloden.
The Scots in the Cape Fear Region were divided in their sympathies during the Revolutionary War and the area around McPhaul's Mill was a center of Loyalist activity.
Many followed the appeal of their heroine, Flora MacDonald, and joined the Loyalists who suffered defeat once again at the Battle of Moore's Creek near Wilmington.
In 1781, Patriot General Rutherford defeated the local Loyalists in a final battle near Mill Prong.
During the last year of the Civil War, General Sherman passed through the area on his way to where the Battle of Bentonville, the largest Civil War Battle in North Carolina, was fought. His troops bashed in the family piano which once again resides at Mill Prong.
Upon arrival in the Cape Fear area, the Scots were hardworking and devoted themselves to the Presybterian Church, education and public affairs.
Their native language, Gaelic, was used in church services through the 19th century.
John Gilchrist (1740-1802), John Gilchrist, Jr. (1785-1868), Colonel Archibald McEachern (1788-1873) and Daniel Purcell McEachern (1836-1917), all lived at Mill Prong.
Gilchrist Sr. and Jr. represented Robeson County in the House of Commons and State Senate off and on from 1792 to 1846.
Daniel Purcell McEachern served Robeson County in the State Senate in 1879.
Gilchrist Jr. founded Floral College near Maxton, the college bearing the distinction of being the first for women chartered in North Carolina and the second for woman chartered in the South.
Gilchrist Jr. and McEachern the younger were antebellum graduates of the University of North Carolina.
Mill Prong House was erected c. 1795 and received its name from the nearby stream, a tributary of Raft Swamp.
McPhaul's Mill was located downstream and the location of the residence was the Mill “Prong” of Raft Swamp.
Constructed in the Federal style, it was remodeled in the Greek Revival style in the 1830s by Col. Archibald McEachern. Stylish for its day, the interior contained extensive wood graining and marbling.
Col. McEachern purchased the Mill Prong House and 1500 acres from John Gilchrist, Jr. in 1834 and was operating a large plantation with Mill Prong as its center on the eve of the Civil War.
More information: http://www.millpronghouse.com/history.html
Raeford, North Carolina is located in Hoke County, North Carolina's 99th county. The bill establishing Hoke County was enacted into law on February 18, 1911, to become effective on April 3, 1911.
The first officials of the new county were appointed by the governor to serve until an election could be held. Jeptha Peele and W.T. Covington were appointees as commissioners to meet the county commissioners of Cumberland and Robeson counties, primarily to lay off boundaries of the new county. Hoke had to assume its per capita share of the public indebtedness of the parent counties and pending court cases were transferred to the new county. These actions were necessary due to the fact that the new county had been formed from land acreage formerly within the other two counties.
Raeford was designated as the county seat. The governor had the authority to appoint the entire slate of first officials, but chose to let a primary election by the people select the list. W.B. McQueen became the first Clerk of Court, J. Hector Smith, the Register of Deeds; Edgar Hall, Sheriff; W. McCraney, the Treasurer, and County Commissioners were elected as follows: J.W. Johnson, Chairman, S.J. Cameron and J.A. McPhaul; Surveyors J.L. McFadyen; Coroner, Dr. A.P. Dickson; Supt. of Education, Prof. J.A. McGoogan; Board of Education, N.A. McDonald, John A. Hodgin and Neill McKinnon; County Attorney, J.W. Currie; State Senator (1914) J.W. Johnson; and State Representative (1914) Thomas McBryde.
The county initially contained 268,000 acres with a population of about 10,000. There were no paved roads and the economy was strictly based on cotton. The only high school in the county was the Raeford Institute. This school was established by the Dr. A.P. Dickson family, the J.W. McLauchlin family and the McRae family. In the fall of 1903 the main building burned, and the school was moved to the Presbyterian Church, and four months later was moved into a new building...later the numbers of buildings for the institute grew to nine. In 1910 the school had an enrollment of 325 students. Raeford, chartered in 1901, was composed almost exclusively of people who had moved to the community in the interest of their children obtaining a better education.
Raeford was originally settled on the site of an old cotton field, in 1898, with those few families who had settled there making up the population in 1898. In 1899, the Aberdeen and Rockfish Railroad was extended to the present location and present day Raeford began. When the first train came down the track, it is said that teachers let the children from the institute walk through the woods to meet the train.
The gentlemen who operated the turpentine distillery and general store at old Raeford, located near what is known as the swimming hole on Rockfish Creek, wanted the post office in their store for the convenience of the townspeople. In order to choose a name for the post office, they took a syllable from each of their names...one being John McRae, and one being A.A. Williford...Thus the name "Raeford" was given to the town.
The first newspaper, Facts and Figures was published from March 1905 to early 1911 by D. Scott Poole and in 1911 F. P. Johnson bought the paper and published it until September 1913. He changed the name to The Hoke County Journal. On September 3, 1913, J.W. Johnson and other citizens organized and incorporated the Raeford Publishing Company, with Bion H. Butler as Editor. In January of 1915, D. Scott Poole rented the machinery and again became editor of the paper, which he continued to call The Hoke County Journal. In 1928, Paul Dickson, Sr., started another paper, The Hoke County News, and eventually consolidated the two papers as The News-Journal. Upon Mr. Dickson's death, Mrs. Dickson published the newspaper until 1946 when it was taken over by Paul Dickson, Jr.
In 1918 Little River Township, located in the northern part of the county, was separated from the remainder of Hoke County by the Ft. Bragg Reservation, and in 1958 the 20,000 acres of the township became part of Moore County.
It would be impossible to cover the entire history of all the events that have taken place to bring Raeford and Hoke County to their present level of growth and development. The community has grown and no longer resembles the town that grew out of a need for educating children and transporting cotton to market.
Industrial development has kept the economy alive in spite of the mechanization of farms that has driven many families from agricultural activity during the past thirty years.
Unilever USA-HPC, Burlington Industries, the House of Raeford, Inc., and Tar Heel Turkey Hatchery, are major industrial firms providing employment in Hoke County today. Other business and professional firms provide the bulk of non-farm employment.
New growth and progress are constantly being sought and achieved through the efforts of the Raeford-Hoke Chamber of Commerce and the Raeford-Hoke Economic Development Commission, as well as the progressive business and professional people and private citizens of the town and county.